LEADERSHIP IN PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
- Lung disease is now the second leading cause of death in the United States.
- Over 49 million Americans are living with a chronic lung disease.
- The rates of many lung diseases are on the rise.
- Asthma affects more than 25 million Americans
- There are more than 3,300 asthma-related deaths in the United States each year, and these deaths are often preventable.
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease such as emphysema) is the third leading cause of death in the United States.
- An estimated 24 million people in the USA are living with COPD.
- Smoking is the #1 preventable cause of death in the USA.
- More people die from smoking and second hand smoke that AIDS, breast cancer, drug overdoses, homicide, motor vehicle accidents and suicide combined.
- Lung diseases are the second and third leading cause of death, yet research has historically been significantly underfunded.
Page last modified on Friday, September 21, 2012 06:36:43pm UTC